St Paul’s Collegiate School’s Open A netball team claimed the Hamilton City Netball Centre’s title on Sunday after winning three games against local secondary schools in the finals.
The first game against Otorohanga was a landslide win to St Paul’s (36-18) that set momentum and confidence for the remainder of the tournament.
St Paul’s Netball Manager Marg Landon said the second game against long-time rivals Hillcrest was more challenging and a reality check that the title wasn’t yet in the bag.
“St Paul’s had to fight hard and by sticking stringently to the game plan won the game 37-27,” said Landon
The final deciding game of the weekend was against Cambridge. St Paul’s took a strong lead from the first pass and ended up winning the match 45-18.
The win is a big confidence booster for St Paul’s Open A as the team prepares for tournament week where they will compete in the UNISS netball tournament against New Zealand’s best netball teams.
Open A 2016 season achievements
- Grace Watson selected for New Zealand secondary school team
- Kate Littlejohn selected for New Zealand secondary schools Maori team
- Seven girls selected as Hamilton city representatives
- First school to make Thursday night premier indoor competition
- Won Australian and New Zealand quadrangular tournament
- Won Monday night secondary schools league
- Won school exchange games against Bethlehem and Whanganui colleges
- Top team in the Saturday premier one grade
- Won zone secondary schools tournament
- Won Hamilton city netball centre tournament.