The house system and house competitions at build community spirit allowing students to learn the importance of teamwork and to build on leadership skills. Students are passionate about their house and the competition programme is a key part of school life. House competition points are allocated to each house at the end of every competition and it’s an annual race to see which house will be the top at the end of the year.
Students meet in their houses most days and quickly become house-proud. The houses are vertical (mixed year levels) which allows the senior students opportunities to help new students become orientated to the school.
Each house has a housemaster who is the pastoral care teacher for the students in the house. There are also deputy and assistant housemasters who assist in the house as well as senior prefects. For many parents and families, a student’s housemaster is the first point of contact at St Paul’s for successes, concerns or challenges. Housemasters are supported by an associate housemaster, deputy housemasters, matron, residential assistants, Headmaster, associate headmaster, deputy headmasters, chaplain, counsellor and nurse.
You can find the housemasters listed on our staff page here
- Clark House (boarding students)
- Williams House (boarding students)
- Sargood House (boarding students)
- Fitchett House (day students)
- Hall House (day students)
- Hamilton House (day students)
- School House (day students)
- Harington House (female students)
School House (1959)
Originally there was only the one house: School House (established in 1959) which catered for both boarders and day boys. The last year of School House functioning as a boarding house was at the end of 1993. The house at this time went into recess but was re-established as a day house in 1999.
Sargood House (1961)
Sargood House, named after Sir Percy Sargood of the Sargood Trust which provided the finance for the house, opened in 1961. One of the significant events in that first year of Sargood House was student’s laying of the paths around the house.
Williams House (1963)
Williams House opened in 1963 and was named after Mr A B Williams of the Williams Trust, which provided the finance for the house. During the first term only one dormitory was ready for use and boys had to camp down in Sargood and School temporarily.
Hamilton House (1964)
Hamilton House, named after Hamilton City, was established in 1964 and was first located in what was then known as the Hobbies Hut. This building no longer exists.
Clark House (1967)
Clark House, named after a former Chairman of the Board of Governors Mr George I Clark, opened in 1967. The Clark House boys were first housed in the old dining hall block, which was on the site of the current Science block.
Hall House (1973)
Hall House, founded in 1973, was named after Foundation Board member Mr Harry Hall and commemorates all the survey work he did for the School, free of charge.
Harington House (1985)
Harington House, formerly known as the Girls’ House, opened in 1985. The house was renamed Harington House after Mrs Pamela Harington, a St Paul’s parent and very active Board member. In 1992 Harington Boarding opened and in 2005 a new wing was opened and named after board member, Loris Eyre
Fitchett House (1999)
Fitchett House opened in 1999 and was named after Dr Marcus Fitchett, the first Chairman of the Board.