Celebrating the academic success of the junior school on Thursday 1 December saw the Chapel of Christ the King full of talented students and their families. Congratulations to the following recipients on their outstanding special awards at the Junior Prizegiving:
Aditya Manda — St Paul’s Award for Year 9 and the Lander Family Trophy
- The St Paul’s Award for Year 9 and the Lander Family Trophy is awarded to Aditya Manda as the top Year 9 student who has excelled in all areas of school life. He has gained his colours for music and school production, he is a member of the Chamber Choir, Big Band, School Choir and School Concert Band. He also competed in the Big Sing competition, Cadenza, and had a major role in our musical Wizard of Oz as The Cowardly Lion. He is a member of the debating team, the elite swim team and took part in the Epro8 Challenge. Adi earned a Distinction award in the Otago Mathematics Competition, and gained seven top subject placings and three top class placings.
Aidan Hodgson — Junior Manukura Ariki
- Aidan Hodgson has been awarded the Junior Manukura Ariki for recognition as the top Maaori student for outstanding diligence and achievement.
Aidan Hodgson — Johnson Family Junior Oratory Cup
- Aidan Hodgson has been awarded the Johnson Family Junior Oratory Cup for winning first place in the junior speech competition.
Shaeveer Mann — John van Grootel Memorial Trophy
- Shaeveer Mann has been awarded the John van Grootel Memorial Trophy for his outstanding diligence and persistence in the Junior School lower band.
Heath Elliot — Kansal Trophy for Resilience in the Junior School
- Recognised for showing outstanding determination and resilience, this years recipient of the Kansal Trophy for Resilience in the Junior School is Heath Elliot.
Timi Carter — Kaakaa Tarahae Award
- Awarded to the top Maaori orator within the Junior School, Timi Carter has been awarded the Kaakaa Tarahae Award. Inquiring and astute, Timi has the makings of a promising ambassador for Te whanau o Hato Paaora in the coming years.
Jesse Chen — Junior Chikako Komaki Piano Scholarship
Sangjoon Lee — Boyes Cup for Most Improved Junior Musician
Quintus Daniell — Gilbert Family Trophy
- Quintus Daniell has been awarded the Gilbert Family Trophy as the most promising all round sportsperson within the Junior School. He has exhibited an outstanding ability across several different sporting codes including being selected for the Hamilton Colts Cricket Dreamteam where he finished the season as the top run scorer with 281 runs. He represented the St Paul’s First XI Cricket team who won the Waikato Valley T20 competition. He was also crowned the St Paul’s junior athletics champion for 2022. On the rugby field, he proved a pivotal member of the unbeaten St Paul’s U14 team that won the Steve Gordon Trophy, during which he was named 'best team-member' for the year.
Sam Haines, Fred McKenzie, Aditya Manda and Nish Wood — Junior Science Award
- The winners of the Junior Science Award were all part of the 'SPC Fans' EPro8 team who competed against other St Paul’s teams and Waikato teams in the heats at St Paul’s and came in first place. They then moved on to the next stage hosted at Waikato University and came in eighth overall using their team work and innovation when addressing the different practical engineering issues throughout the competitions.
Roy Zhu — Lewis Trophy for Excellence in Creative Writing