St Paul’s Collegiate School offers basketball to students during the winter sports season. Student take part in practise training either before or after school at St Paul’s two modern indoor basketball courts and several outdoor courts.
Trials for this sport take place at the end of Term 1, after which students are placed into teams of their ability. In Term 2 and 3 students compete in their respective competitions with games played on a home and away basis throughout the Waikato region. Competitions that students can compete in include:
- Waikato senior boys premier
- Waikato open senior boys
- Waikato junior boys
A sports levy applies to this sport. Qualifying and national tournament fees and travel and accommodation costs are disbursed to students' accounts accordingly.
High Performance Basketball Programme
St Paul’s high-performance basketball programme aims to improve the skills of individual students and build on the performance of teams at regional and national competitions. All students who are interested in representing their province or becoming a professional sportsperson are encouraged to trial for the programme. The programme includes specialised skills-based training each Thursday 6am-7am.
For selection, students must:
- Have a good academic record and are required to maintain this;
- Have an excellent attendance record; and
- Play for a St Paul’s basketball team.
- Teacher in Charge – Michael Ramaka
- Senior Premier – Jono Kraenzlin, Blake Phillips, Michael Rameka
- Senior A1 – Jason McGrath
- Junior Premier – Mike Hunter, Jono Kraenzlin, Micheal Rameka
- Junior A1 – Jeremy Coley, Ian Boyle
- Social Boys – Simon Ward