St Paul’s Collegiate School’s Rowing Club seeks to build and support high quality programmes that promote student access to rowing, excellence in rowing, and use rowing as a means to foster physical activity, health, leadership and team building.
To support this objective, the club engages professional rowing coaches and rowing-experienced international gap students for each group – senior boys, senior girls and novice.
Attracting 50-70 students per year, the coaching team offer individual and small group training, both on and off the water.
Learn to Row Programme
The school operates a Learn to Row programme in Term 1 every year as a summer sport option. This programme allows beginners to learn the basics of the rowing technique through land-based training on ergs, as well as the opportunity to get on the water in the larger boats. This is ideal for any year level to try as their summer sport.
Training and Regattas
Students train on the Waikato River from the club’s private boat shed and from the St Paul’s fitness facilities, which boasts state-of-the-art equipment for strength and endurance training.
The Club has a range of Hudson, Laszlo, Empacher and Wintech boats in eights, fours, doubles and singles.
Over the rowing season, St Paul’s rowers compete in as many as eight regattas, including:
- Te Awamutu Regatta
- Karapiro Memorial Regatta
- KRI Club Regatta
- Christmas Regatta
- North Island Club Regatta
- Junior Regatta
- North Island Secondary Schools Championships (NISS)
- New Zealand Secondary Schools Championship (Maadi) – this will be in Twizel in 2020.
- 2019 – Alison Mills, NZ Juniors
- 2018 – Grace Watson, NZ Juniors, bronze medal at Worlds (now under-23 team)
- 2017 – Grace Watson and Kate Littlejohn, NZ Juniors
- 2003 – St Paul’s winners of Maadi Cup
- 2002 – St Paul’s winners of Maadi Cup
The rowing programme costs $2,900 for the season. This fee covers camps, transport, coaching, uniforms and entry to regattas. Selected crews for Maadi Cup incur an additional fee.
Regattas and results
Contact and coaches
View our rowing coaches here