St Paul’s Collegiate School offers water polo as a summer sport option to male and female students at all year levels (9-13). The programme is offered to any student who is interested in the sport: previous experience with water polo is not a prerequisite although confidence in the water and a decent swimming ability is mandatory.
Students train once a week at Water World, Te Rapa. The 4m-deep pool at Water World allows our teams to develop the strength and stamina needed for water polo matches. As well as building strength and endurance during training, our students learn ball skills and tactics that help them during matches.
St Paul’s competes in two local competitions organised by Waikato Water Polo:
- Waikato water polo open competition (Year 9 – 13)
- Waikato water polo junior competition (Year 9 – 10)
There is a small cost $115 per student. per term. This cost includes competition entry, facilities hire for training (Water World), pool entry, coaching and transport.
- Michael Weir represented Waikato under-16 (2014)
- Olivia Street selected to represent Waikato under-18 and under-20 (2014)
- Louise Ford selected to represent Waikato under-18 (2012/13)
- Damon Haywood selected to represent Waikato under-16 (2012/13)
- Michael Weir selected to represent Waikato under-14 (2012/13)